10/15/2008 8:31 AM
FCC Chairman Kevin Martin expressed frustration Wednesday
that the other four commissioners rejected his plan to make rules that could
have provided Class A stations a clear path to full-power status.
The commission struck the item from its Wednesday (Oct. 15) meeting
at about 4 p.m. Tuesday when Martin realized he did not have the votes to pass
it. He said other commissioners supported a lesser measure—a notice of inquiry—that
would have removed the potential for mandatory cable carriage for Low-Power
“This provided nothing for Low-Power,” Martin told reporters
in conference call.
Martin the plan has been circulating among commissioners
since February and he suggested that pressure from broadcasters and cable companies had changed the view of some commissioners.
The plan would have enabled some Class A stations to apply for full-power status, under which they would then qualify for cable must-carry rights.
In a jab at Democratic Commissioners Jonathan Adelstein and
Michael Copps, he said that some commissioners had previously voiced support
for measures that would increase the diversity of broadcast voices, but now
rejected his plan.
“They’re not being straightforward,” he said.